These classic gingerbread cupcakes are topped with a festive eggnog frosting. It’s the perfect way to use up your leftover eggnog!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 5 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line your 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, molasses, and egg.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water into the butter mixture, followed by half of the dry mixture and stir. Repeat this step one more time until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Fill each liner 2/3 of the way and bake the cupcakes for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack to allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Once they’ve cooled, mix the softened butter and shortening together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of the confectioner’s sugar to the butter mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Stir in the eggnog, rum extract, and nutmeg. Then, add the remaining 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and stir until completely combined.
- Frost your cupcakes and decorate as you like!
Cupcake recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.
Keywords: Gingerbread Eggnog Cupcakes