These cupcakes feature a sunny lemon flavor and a wonderfully light lavender frosting (with real lavender buds!) – you won’t be able to say no to these!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (brought to room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (brought to room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- zest and juice from two medium lemons
- 3/4 cups (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (brought to room temperature)
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner’s/powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped culinary lavender buds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (if needed)
- 4–5 drops of blue/red food coloring or 1-2 drops of purple food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-cavity muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handmixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar and butter together at medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, or until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix at low speed until combined. Once combined, add the milk and lemon juice/zest until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into your cupcake liners, filling each liner about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed in a large bowl until creamy.
- Switch your mixer to low speed and gradually add the powdered sugar and lavender buds. Increase the mixer speed as the ingredients start to combine and beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Using a piping bag fitted with an Ateco #808 piping tip, pipe the lavender frosting onto the cupcakes. Start from the middle and swirl upward.
- Extras: You can add up to 4 cups of powdered sugar, depending on your desired consistency. If the frosting is too thick, feel free to add up to a tablespoon of milk. Add food coloring as you like.
This recipe makes about 4 dozen mini cupcakes; all you need to do is bake them for around 11-12 minutes!
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 447
- Sugar: 52.3
- Sodium: 250
- Fat: 20.5
- Saturated Fat: 12.6
- Carbohydrates: 64.9
- Fiber: 0.5
- Protein: 3.2
- Cholesterol: 83
Keywords: Lemon Lavender Cupcakes