Oh hey heyyyy, welcome to the first post of Fall 2018! I wanted to step away from a recipe post this time around and just gab for a bit. I’ve been so caught up with making Bake du Jour all about recipes, completely forgetting that it’s totally okay to have a space to just chat (um also, we’re doing these post titles Friends style 😎).
Anyway. It’s been about a week since summer ended and I have to say, this was a really great summer. Here are some highlights:
- playing a LOOOOOOOOOT of handball
- going to the beach every Monday and getting a semi-tan — so worth it to go during a weekday, when you don’t have to be shoulder-to-shoulder with the rest of the beachgoers 8)
- finding every excuse to get Biscoff soft serve at Carvel on those nice summer nights (aka every summer night lol who am I kidding)
- getting to see Nadal play at the US Open this year, at last! Frank and I, along with my mom and her boyfriend Mike, have been attending the US Open 5 years in a row now and it’s always a good time. This was followed by dinner at one of the best Korean restaurants I’ve ever been to. Frank and I still talk about it because LAWD our entree was good. In case you’re wondering, the restaurant is called The Coop and it’s in Flushing, NY. If you ever get the chance to go, get the Gratin. Trust me.
- having my birthday dinner at one of my favorite restaurants on what was undoubtedly the rainiest day of the summer with some of my favorite people, Grey and Ryan (hi guys ily)
- continuing the tradition of going to the Belmont Racetrack in mid-July and not winning any $$$
- celebrating Luna’s 5th (!!!) birthday. I don’t think I’ve introduced Luna to you all, right? Welp. HERE. SHE. IS. She’s a sweet lil meatball who loves people more than anything in the world, hates hats, and has a super expressive face.
Now that summer is over though, I am pretty pumped for everything that comes with fall. Let me just get this out in the open now: I really love pumpkin spice lattes, aka PSL. Besides hot apple cider, it is the quintessential fall beverage and I’ll totally risk being labeled as basic for admitting this. Outside of that, we’ve got sweaters, boots, Halloween, and crisp air coming our way.
So to celebrate the first day of fall, Frank and I went apple picking at Harvest Moon Farm and Orchard in North Salem, NY. It was my first time apple picking and it was ahhhh-mazing!
We picked a whole bunch of apples (and pears), had some really good cider, and I went home with a lil jar of strawberry jam. They had such a huge selection of jams and the more I think about it, the more I’m regretting not getting a big ol’ jar pumpkin butter. WEEP. 😭
On the bright side, though, this did give me an opportunity to make an apple pie. Frank recently found out that he’s a huge fan of apple pie (late bloomer, amirite), especially if it’s à la mode. We totally devoured the pie, but all that really means is that I have to make another one right?
The next big thing up on the agenda is a cross-country road trip—Brooklyn to Vegas, baby! Frank’s mom is moving, so we’re going to be driving her sweet 12-year-old pitbull Deuce over; it’s a trip we’ve always wanted to take and once we get her all settled in, we’ll be going to Disneyland and Universal Studios. SQUEAL! I can hardly wait.
In the meantime, we’ve all got a lot of planning and packing to do because HELLO, your girl’s got two weeks worth of clothes to think about. Though to be completely honest, I really do love packing and planning so I’m totally cool with it. I’d like to think that I’m channeling my inner Monica.
I’ll be taking lots of pics during the trip and will post them here when I’m back. 😀I’ve got to get back to packing, but feel free to drop a line below and let me know what you’re looking forward to this fall! Do you have any cool traditions?
Thanks for tuning in, and happy first week of fall! 🍂